بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

It is from the mercy of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala that He has allowed us to reach the blessed month of Ramadan, in which there are countless opportunities for us to gain great rewards and His forgiveness. Alhamdulillah.

But for many of us, waking up extra early for the voluntary Tahajjud prayers and suhoor (pre-dawn meal) can be difficult for the soul, and some may even skip them altogether.

From the encompassing mercy of our Rabb, He subhanahu wa ta'ala is aware of our weaknesses. He knows that it can be tough to fight off the comfort of our pillows and bed, to take wudu’ (ablution) from the cold water, and to eat suhoor when food is probably the last thing on our sleepy minds. 

And this is among the reasons why Allah has attached great rewards behind these good deeds — to encourage us, to let us know that the difficulties we face are nothing in comparison to the extraordinary bounties and honour that He has stored for us when we strive to do them. 

So let me share with you some beautiful and encouraging ahadith to help motivate us for those tired Ramadan pre-dawns, in shaa Allah.

🌸 The virtues of praying Tahajjud in the last third of the night 

The last third of the night is a special time for the believers, but due to tiredness and drowsiness, not many of us take advantage of it. What’s so special about this time of the night? Rasulullah salla Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam (ﷺ) said: 

“Our Rabb, the Blessed, the Superior, comes every night down on the nearest Heaven to us when the last third of the night remains, saying: 

Is there anyone to invoke Me, so that I may respond to his invocation? 

Is there anyone to ask Me, so that I may grant him his request? 

Is there anyone seeking My forgiveness, so that I may forgive him?” [Sahih al-Bukhari 1145]

When the last third of the night enters, Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala descends to the nearest heaven in a manner that befits His Might and Majesty, and He says to us:

“Is there anyone who wants to make du’a, so that I may answer it?”

“Is there anyone who has a request, so that I may fulfil it?”

“Is there anyone who is making tawbah, so that I may forgive him?”

In the last third of every night, our Rabb wants us to ask of Him!

And if we are truly bothered by our sins, if we’re truly in need of something from Allah, if we have so many problems and worries that we want Allah to solve them for us — then wake up in the last third of the night, so that we can be amongst those who say:  “I am that person, O Allah!”

“I am that person who seeks Your forgiveness.”

“I am that person who has numerous requests, O Allah.”

“I am that person who wants my supplications to be answered, O Allah.”

For indeed, our sins are abundant, and our wants are numerous. 

So when we wake up in the last third of the night to pray Tahajjud, be cognizant of Allah’s call. Have faith in Allah that He will forgive us, and will answer our supplications in the time and manner that He subhanahu wa ta'ala knows best.

If this is your first time praying Tahajjud, start with a 2 raka’aat prayer, and aim not to miss a single night. Then do your best to increase the number of raka’aat or lengthen your salaah the next night. May Allah make it easy for us.

🌸 The virtues of taking wudu’ after waking up in the night

Upon waking up in the last third of the night, the idea of doing wudu’ can be super daunting. In comparison to our cosy bed, the bathroom floor is cold, and the water can be freezing. But do you know how much honour Allah gives to the one who is able to fight his temptation from going back to sleep, and do wudu’? Rasulullah ﷺ said: 

“A person from my nation arises in the night, and fights his nafs for purification (i.e. wudu’). There are knots over him (i.e. shaytaan is holding back the person from the worship of Allah). If he washes his hands, a knot is unravelled. If he washes his face, a knot is unravelled. If he wipes his head, a knot is unravelled. If he washes his feet (completing his wudu’), a knot is unravelled. 

Allah Almighty will say to those in the Unseen: Behold this servant of Mine, treating his soul, and asking from Me. Whatever this servant of Mine asks of Me, he will have it.” [Sahih Ibn Hibban 2619 | Graded Sahih by al-Arna’ut]

This hadith specifically mentioned the one who wakes up, and literally fights himself to do wudu’ — look how Allah acknowledges that making wudu’ can be a struggle in those hours!

He subhanahu wa ta'ala then orders the angels to look at the one making wudu’ as a sign of honouring him. Allah praises him in front of His angels.

And then Allah promises him that He subhanahu wa ta'ala will fulfil whatever du’a, whatever request, whatever need that he asks of Him.

This person has yet to even pray, but look at the honour and reward Allah gives him! So when we wake up, fighting with our nafs to get out of bed and make wudu’, be conscious of the honour and His bounties that await us when we do.

🌸 The virtues of eating suhoor

After praying Tahajjud, we probably feel like skipping suhoor, and sleep on our prayer rug until Fajr time. But even in suhoor are great rewards. Rasulullah ﷺ said: 

“The suhoor is a blessed meal, so do not abandon it, even if you only take a sip of water. Verily, Allah and His angels send blessings upon those who take the suhoor.” [Musnad Ahmad 11086 | Graded Sahih by al-Arna’ut]

So not only is suhoor a meal of barakah, but Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and His angels send their blessings upon us when we eat suhoor. Again, this is the reward for the person who has not even started his fasting. So imagine what greater reward for the one who completes his fasts!

🌸 The virtue of the voluntary 2 raka’aat salaah before Fajr

When the Fajr adhaan comes, don’t immediately rush to pray Fajr without first praying the 2 raka’aat sunnah before it. Rasulullah ﷺ said:

“The two raka’aat before the dawn (Fajr) prayer are better than this world and all it contains.” [Riyad as-Salihin 1102 (Sahih Muslim)]

Those two raka’aat before Fajr are better than this world, than its gold and its silver, than its castles and palaces. If we took the entire world and everything in it, those 2 sunnah raka’aat that we pray will still be better than all of them. So when you pray the 2 raka’aat before Fajr, be certain of the fact that there is absolutely nothing better that you can be doing at that moment than those 2 raka’aat.

By now, you haven’t even prayed the Fajr salaah yet, and the morning has only just begun, but look what you’ve amassed for your akhirah. Look what you have invested, in comparison if you were to skip everything and just prayed Fajr. This is the life of productivity we learn especially in the month of Ramadan. We ask Allah to make us productive Muslims in this Ramadan, and beyond.

The Ramadan pre-dawns can be tough for our soul, but its honour and bounties exceed the glitters of this dunya and everything it contains. Indeed, our Rabb is Ash-Shakoor: The Most Appreciative and Rewarder of Good Deeds.

“And whoever performs a good deed, We will increase for him goodness therein. Surely Allah is Most-Forgiving, Very-Appreciative.”

[Surah ash-Shura 42 : 23]

Your sister in Deen,

Aida Msr