We all love customized gifts.

It could be a handmade card bursting with memories, or a sweater in your favourite colours, whether lovingly crocheted, embroidered, or store-bought.

Maybe it’s a curated box full of artisan chocolates that are your guilty pleasure or an oversized mug with your most beloved quote looping across its glossy surface.

Regardless, there’s something special about someone giving you a gift based on their insight into your soul.

Likewise, doesn’t it fill you with flutters of excitement when you plan out the perfect gift for someone you love?

Rather than a last-minute drop-in at the mall to grab something random, the process of thought and anticipation that it takes to surprise someone with their heart’s desire is so much more satisfying- almost better than receiving a gift yourself!

Now, how does this relate to enabling you to get back into making meaningful du’a to Allah?

When you raise your hands and feel numb, overwhelmed, or blank so that your du’as come out mechanically lacking in depth or feeling, then switch gears and make someone else a customized du’a!

Sometimes it’s easier to vocalize what others need when we’re struggling to put our own needs into words.

Call upon Allah with His beautiful Names and Attributes while putting yourself in the shoes of someone else, and imagining the deepest wishes of their heart.

It could look like-

“Ya Allah, Ya Razzaq, Ya Wadud, bless Sister Sarah and her husband with a barakah-filled marriage where their love and connection increase every single day. Let them be best friends leading each other compassionately to Jannah, enriching each other in their Deen and Dunya.”

Or perhaps,

“Ya Shafi, Ya Razzaq, Ya Rahman Ar-Raheem, grant your complete healing and aafiyah (ease) to Brother Dawud, remove any pain and distress from him, whether spiritual, physical, or emotional, and make him stronger and healthier than before in his body, mind, and spirits. Let this trial strengthen his Imaan and leave him as completely free of sins as a newborn.”

Or maybe even,

“Ya Allah, this person hurt me badly, but I feel that it is coming from an unhealed wound within them. I have forgiven them for your sake, Ya Ghaffar, so that You forgive me for my sins and shower me with your Mercy, which I need and crave more than anything. Rectify their affairs and problems, whatever is causing them to act like this, and mend what is broken in them, Ya Jabbar. You know exactly what we all need-so grant it to us. Ya Qadeer, You are Capable of Anything and Everything.”

I promise you, brothers and sisters, when you get into this groove of pouring your heart out to the King of kings on behalf of another, when you send a customized gift up to the heavens just for them- you will instantly tingle with happiness and contentment, and this will renew your optimism and inspiration to ask for yourself.

But even if you end with your thoughtful bespoke gift du’a, guess what? You’ve still made du’a for yourself!

Abu Darda reported: The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said,

No Muslim servant supplicates for his brother behind his back but that the angel says: And for you the same.”

[Sahih Muslim 2732]

SubhanAllah, how exquisitely beautiful is our Deen!

We think we’re doing ihsan (utmost good) by making du’a for our brothers and sisters, but Allah far surpasses us with His Ihsan!

In reality, when curating a beautiful designer du’a for someone else- whether friend, foe, or stranger- you are enriching yourself with just as good of a gift!

Allah makes sure that you’ll also get a customized surprise. Allahu Akbar.

Also, dear readers, the ability and the desire to make du’a for others, to go out of the way for them in your private conversations with Allah, the Almighty, is a sign that you have a sound heart: qalbun saleem.

Thereby making it a strong sign that you are, bi’idhnillah, a slave worthy of Allah’s Love.

Khaleel Ar-Rahman – the close, intimate, beloved friend of the Most Merciful- Ibrahim عليه السلام is described as ‘awaab (grieving frequently because of other people) and ‘muneeb (always turning back to Allah in beautiful du’a as a channel for his grief).

His qalb (heart) was endowed with saleem (soundness; free of defects) by Allah, and this was translated into the sincerity of his intentions, the truthfulness of his beliefs, and the steadfast honour of his actions.

He genuinely, deeply, and untiringly cared for people’s Deen and Dunya.

Even when he was given the glorious news of a long-anticipated son after his hair had turned grey, this joy did not curb his anxiety for the sinners and transgressors who were about to be punished by Allah’s Command- the nation of his nephew, Luth عليه السلام.

He argued passionately with the very Angels who brought him the wish of a lifetime for the respite of these shamelessly wicked people until it was made clear to him that Allah had already decreed their destruction.

And, of course, we have our Prophet ﷺ who would spend long nights weeping and supplicating for his Ummah- for the millions of us he has never seen- before thinking about himself.

When allowed to make du’a against the city that chased him out with sharp stones and sharper words, Rasulullah ﷺ did not curse them even though he would have been completely justified.  Instead, he held out hope that a righteous generation would emerge from the hard-hearted, cruel residents of Ta’if.

It’s no wonder that he is the only other man and Prophet chosen from all of humanity to be a Khaleel of his Lord, just like his noble ancestor Ibrahim عليه السلام.

While the status of a Khaleel is only reserved for these two exemplary human beings who excelled in every facet of their life and mission – we can still receive Allah’s friendship, support, mercy, and protection if we follow in their gracefully enlightened footsteps.

Allah says in Surah Ash-Shu’ara (26:88-89),

The Day when neither wealth nor children will be of any benefit, only those who come before Allah with a pure heart [will be saved].”

Ya Rahman, Ya Raheem, Ya Razzaq, allow us to meet You with a spiritually sound heart, having benefited your creation with our words and actions while seeking Your Glorious Face.

Allahumma Aameen