The experience of living in this world is drastically different for all of us.

And we often feel dissatisfied with our life when we perceive that others are enjoying what we are not, that many have access to the vibrant sensations of a viewpoint in their life that we don’t have access to, gazing at beautiful views while we are walled in.

We see people savouring life as if it were a sparkling fruity drink, they seem to have it all, and you’re wondering where you’re going wrong.

You may think to yourself, “Am I not a worshipper of Allah, Ar-Razzaq (The Provider)? Then why do these people, who aren’t religious, who don’t even obey Allah, have such an amazing life while I struggle daily?”

The Prophet said,

The world is a prison for the believer and a paradise for the unbeliever.

[Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2956]

At first glance, it may seem to us that, as believers, we should always expect to live a constricted life and that following the way of Allah means that the Dunya is like a cage for us, and only the Aakhirah is vast and full of goodness for Allah’s obedient slaves.

But there’s more to these profound words; in them is an amazing way of reframing how we look at both the worldly life and the Hereafter and seeing their true, mind-boggling contrast.

Let’s look at the story of one of the great ‘Ulama (scholars) of Islam. 

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ was a great scholar of the Deen and Qadi of Egypt, and his explanation of Sahih Al Bukhari [Fath Al-Bari] is of our best authentic sources of understanding the books of ahadith.

Well, this devout worshipper of Allah and knowledgeable judge of a great nation was also rich, elegant, and had the good things of the Dunya as well as spiritual blessings!

One day, this handsome and well-dressed Sheikh of Islam was walking through the marketplace, and a non-Muslim man in shabby clothes called out to him.

He said, “O scholar! Didn’t your Prophet say that this world is a sijjn (prison) for the believer and a jannah (paradise) for the disbeliever?”

Ibn Hajar رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ, said, “Yes.”

The poor lamp oil seller replied, “So what paradise am I in, and what prison are you in?”

This struggling man was an open rejector of Islam who was known for opposing the religion. He was demanding an answer from a celebrated Islamic leader who had worldly success at his feet.

Ibn Hajar رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ responded kindly, “As for me, comparing that which I have to that which I expect and hope from Allah in the Hereafter, I feel like I’m in a prison. And as for you, in comparison to that which Allah has promised (of punishment) for people who reject Him, that which you are in is a paradise.”

SubhanAllah.

This hit the man right in his heart, by the Mercy of Allah. He started to cry. And he rushed to Ibn Hajar رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ and took the Shahada. He accepted Islam on the spot. Allahu Akbar.

My brothers and sisters, therefore, this hadith does not mean that the believer is inherently someone who is always moping, unhappy, and depressed.

What it means is that the believer’s state in this world is of secondary importance to him; he has such great and sublime expectations of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ for his Hereafter, and he is so earnest in seeking Allah’s Closeness, that when he enjoys a state of ease he says “Alhamdulillah” in deep gratitude, and when he faces difficulties or struggles in Allah’s Way, he says “Alhamdulillah” with patience.

In other words, the believer is not deluded into thinking this world is paradise, and so, he restricts himself; imprisons himself from the prohibitions of Allah seeking true Paradise with Allah.

He does fulfill his desires, but only in the manner that Allah has prescribed in the Qur’an and Sunnah.

And this also brings the believer the only real happiness to be had in the Dunya too!

The truth is that people who look for happiness and peace in the prohibitions of Allah will never find it, even if they seem to be surrounded by all the riches and adornments anyone could want.

At the very least, they will feel a fake, short-lived pleasure that will soon turn into dust and ashes- leaving only regret.

And if they continue to turn away and disobey their Lord, this regret will be Everlasting. Torment and pain that lasts forever for a sin that only brings a brief flash of shallow satisfaction.  

They will be in the worst state, imprisoned by their blinding desires in the flimsy Dunya and enveloped by the Just punishment of Allah in the Hereafter. Wal Eyadu Billah.

Ya Allah, protect us from Your Punishment by guiding us to Your pure and perfect Pleasure.

Allahumma Aameen.

I’ll leave you with a beautiful example from the life story of yet another amazing scholar, Ibn Taimiyyah رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰهُ, who, when he was wrongly imprisoned, said:

"What can my enemies do to me? I have in my heart both my Heaven and my garden. If I travel, they are with me, and they never leave me. Imprisonment for me is a religious retreat (khalwa). To be slain for me is martyrdom (shahadah) and to be exiled from my land is a spiritual journey (siyaha)."

[al-Wābil al-Ṣayyib 1/48]