Allah tells us in His beautiful Surah Al-Anbiya (The Prophets),

“Humankind is made of haste. I will soon show you My signs, so do not ask Me to hasten them.”

[21:37]

Dear readers, as with all Ayaat of the Qur’an, this one too has a richness of meaning that we need to study, reflect upon, and internalize so that it will transform us in the best way, bi’idhnillah. [See References]

However, I would like to draw your attention to the start of this verse, which conveys a warning to the rebellious and abusive Mushrikeen (idolators) of Mecca, certainly, but it also reminds us how well Allah knows us and our innate condition.

We are creatures of haste.  In our desire for instant gratification, we are blinded into transgressing Allah’s limits a lot of the time.

Ya Afuww (O the Ever Pardoning), forgive us. Allahumma Aameen.

Now, even though it’s in our nature to act first and think about the consequences later; as they say “act in haste, and repent in leisure”, Allah has given us practical solutions to help us avoid tasting the bitter repercussions of our self-inflicted disasters.

In His Infinite and Complete Mercy, our Lord has sent down His Book and provided us with a timeless role model in the form of His beautiful Messenger ﷺ, and He has also blessed us with an in-built compass in our hearts that guides us to act in the way He loves.

Have you ever felt that twinge of guilt, mortification, or regret after committing a sin or a mistake?

Alhamdulillah, I can guarantee that we all have at different points in our day-to-day existence.

Whether we responded to someone too harshly, filled our shopping cart with things we don’t need, or watched something that we know we shouldn’t, temporary satisfaction or pleasure is often overcome by a feeling of wrongness and uneasiness.

It could even be that the world could be pushing us towards this very act, saying that there’s no harm in it and “everyone’s doing it too”- whether that’s mixing freely with members of the opposite gender, wearing our own style of hijab that exposes more than it covers, or posting our beauty on social media for the sake of superficial likes and commentary.

Dear reader, I humbly request you to recall the first time you followed a trend that led to the disobedience of Allah and His noble Messenger ﷺ. How did you feel at that moment? And how was it different the second time, and the next time you engaged in it, and the next?

Because, my brothers and sisters, the more we ignore that heart-heavy feeling that pushes us away from a harmful thought, desire, or action, the more our heart gets desensitized to the thing that Allah hates for us.

This leads to losing that uncomfortable inkling that is, in reality, a safety net from our Ever-Knowing Creator. And without this lifebuoy that keeps us afloat, it’s likely that the weight of our sins will be too much for us and will pull us down. 

Wal Eyadu Billah (And we seek Refuge from Allah).

My brothers and sisters, the apprehension that causes us to pause and take ourselves into account is a gift from Allah, if we cease to feel it, this is a red flag indicating the dire condition of our hearts and our Imaan. 

You can call it the prick of your conscious, guilt, or shame- it’s what will motivate you to repent to Allah because there is no truth or sincerity in tawbah (repentance) that is devoid of regret and remorse.

Three general conditions are absolutely necessary when repenting to Allah (provided that the sin does not involve harming anyone else), without which forgiveness will not be granted [See References].

1.     You should give up the sin

2.     You should regret having done it

3.     You should resolve never to go back to it

This unpleasant sensation is also what causes us to restrain ourselves when we are tempted to sin.

For example, it’s what reminds us to speak good words or remain silent when we are stressed or angry. It motivates us to seek purpose and validation in our God-given purpose and not in the immoralities promoted by society.

And it guides us to cling to the Qur’an and Sunnah even if the world interprets life as unapologetically chasing after one’s desires.

And remember, our sins do not harm Allah in any way, shape, or form- they only bring loss, deprivation, and sorrow upon ourselves.

For instance, Sheikh Ibn Al-Uthaymeen رَحِمَهُ ٱللَّٰ said,

“Verily, the sins do affect the rizq and they obstruct the many doors leading towards the sustenance, and it also makes a person poor at heart (i.e., having bad manners, being stingy, irritable, etc.).”

[Sharh Al-Usool Min Ilm Al-Usool]

Rizq, my brothers and sisters, is all beneficial provision from Allah, from sound Imaan (belief), understanding, and ability to righteous spouses, loving children, and a safe and beautiful home. Even our internal character and physical attributes are rizq from Allah.

Can we think that chasing after temporary satiation is worth losing or being deprived of all of that?

And there are many more negative consequences of persisting in sins and not turning back to Allah repentantly, from lacking success in our endeavours and weakening our willpower to do anything good and productive to feeling distant from Allah and du’aa (supplications) that are rejected. Wal Eyadu Billah.

However, my brothers and sisters, feeling regret and sorrow after sinning is not the same as feeling despair.

The former is beneficial as it helps us to repent and reform in the truest sense, but the latter is extremely dangerous to our mental, physical, and spiritual well-being, and can even be tantamount to kufr (disbelief). [See References]

My brothers and sisters, how could we despair and lose hope in a Lord who introduces us to Himself as the Extremely Merciful, the Ever Merciful?

We start the Qur’an, Allah’s Word, with   بِسْمِ ٱللَّٰهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ .

Bismillahi Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem - In the Name of Allah, the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.

And we know from the Qur’an and Ahadith that Allah loves those who repent and He loves to accept our repentance!

For instance-

Say, ˹O Prophet, that Allah says,˺ “O My servants who have exceeded the limits against their souls! Do not lose hope in Allah’s mercy, for Allah certainly forgives all sins. He is indeed the All-Forgiving, Most Merciful…”

[Az-Zumar: 53]

SubhanAllah. And, also, the Prophet ﷺ conveyed to us,

“By Allah, Allah is more pleased with the repentance of His servant than what one of you would do on finding the lost camel in the waterless desert.”

[Sahih Muslim 2675]

My brothers and sisters, we are a sinful Ummah (nation) with an Ever-Forgiving Rabb, Who is waiting to forgive us.

So, rejoice when your heart is still soft enough to push you to beg His forgiveness and reform your ways. Celebrate that Allah is giving you the tawfeeq (ability) to clean out your heart from darkness so that His Light can enter. 

And if you feel like your sins are pushing you away from Him, remember that His door is always open, and His Forgiveness is yours, bi’idhnillah, as long as you are still alive and sincere to Him.

Seek out the King of Kings, especially when He comes close to you in all His Glory, during the last third of every single night.

Allahu Akbar.