Nothing in this world exists without a purpose.

The stars act as beautiful guides to help us navigate the world while strengthening our humble awe of Allah.

The algae blooms that turn our waters a gorgeous turquoise alert us of environmental changes and form the foundation of entire ecosystems.

Your delicate fingernails and toenails, with their surprising hardness, help protect the soft tissues, vessels, and nerves beneath, while also enabling you to perform complex tasks with your hands and feet!

Al-Khaliq has created everything with multi-faceted benefits, whether obvious or hidden.

There is not a single creation that Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ has not blessed. But, by the same token, no one walks the earth who is not afflicted by trials.

Why does Allah test us?

We know that our Lord does everything with a flawless purpose, and the answer is mentioned many times and in diverse profound ways in Allah’s book. For instance,

“Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while Allah has not yet made evident those of you who fight in His cause and made evident those who are steadfast?”    [Ale ‘Imran: 142]

My brothers and sisters, hardships reveal the truth of who we are.

Allah already knows which of us are sincere in our hearts, but to establish His Divine Justice, He makes it clear for us all, so no one has any excuse on the Day of Judgement. (Ya Rahman, make us all from the Ashabul Yameen- those who receive our records in our right hands. Allahumma Aameen.)

Let’s look at the severe and even terror-inducing tests that form the context of the above verse and the powerful and virtuous statement we are about to learn and implement in our lives, bi’idhnillah.

My brothers and sisters, I invite you all to read about the Battle of Uhud, which occurred during the 3rd year after the Muslims’ Hijrah to Medina. [See References] 

To all eyes but the most discerning, it looked like a shattering blow to the Muslims- it looked like (and some with weak faith believed it at the time) Allah had abandoned His people and that His Help was no longer with them (Astagfirullah)- but this was not the case.

Test after test after test. That’s what struck me the most when reading through this momentous experience of our beloved Prophet ﷺ and the First Community. But if we look at the context of Uhud, each round of tests brought so many mercies.

For instance, when the hypocrites abandoned the believers to fight against the massive army of the enraged Meccans, Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى‎ strengthened the hearts of the sincere believers about to lose hope. Despite not having the obvious resources or support to succeed, Allah gives us the means, and He is never limited to the means.

Then what followed was a worse shaking for the believers. The massacre of the Muslims occurred at the cusp of a sweeping victory when the 40 archers left their posts against the direct and clear orders of none other than the Prophet ﷺ.

Then came the heart-wrenching (false) news that Muhammad ﷺ had been killed, and while some ran away and others collapsed onto the battlefield in shock, other companions launched themselves fiercely against the enemy and met their deaths as martyrs.

My brothers and sisters, this was an extremely traumatizing experience for every single Muslim on that battlefield, and they had all gone to fight in Allah’s way against those who would extinguish His Deen with their hatred.

Yet, look how severely they were tested!

Was it because Allah wanted to torment them? No, Wal Eyadu Billah (And we seek refuge with Allah)!

He wanted to purify them from their shortcomings; He wanted to cleanse them of dangerous worldly attachments and return their hearts to what matters most- the Aakhirah (Hereafter), not the Dunya (Worldly Life).

And He gave them glad tidings about the beautiful and brave souls who they lost- that they were alive and well in the realm of the Barzakh, rejoicing and exclusively provided for by their Lord.

After this tremendous ordeal immediately came another one, and the response of all the believers show how much they had grown and strengthened after the initial trials.

Just as the exhausted, wounded, and grieving Muslim army arrived back to Medina, which Allah had preserved from attack by striking intense terror into the cowardly hearts of the mushrikeen (polytheists) of Mecca, they were called out again to fight, and some attempted to monger fear in their ranks.

But look at their powerful response,

“…and they said, “Sufficient for us is Allah, and He is the best Disposer of affairs.”

[Ale ‘Imran:173]

And what happened then?

“So they returned with favour from Allah and bounty, no harm having touched them. And they pursued the pleasure of Allah, and Allah is the possessor of great bounty.”

[Ale ‘Imran:174]

My brothers and sisters, don’t wait for a low point in your life to say these great and humbling words.

حَسْبُنَا ٱللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ ٱلْوَكِيلُ

Saying this leads to protection and increase from Allah, which we always need, whether we are safe at home with our loved ones or caught up in a threatening situation, Wal Eyadu Billah.

This phrase reminds us of our reality; we have no one but Allah even if we have others.

There is another incident where these words were uttered with strength and conviction.

There are few scenes so theatrically heart-wrenching, spine-chilling, yet deeply moving than this actual moment in history:

“HasbunAllahu Wa Ni’mal Wakeel”,

Said the boy, tossed into the flames,

With certain belief and a will of steel.

He worshipped Allah alone and was unashamed.

Abandoned by his family, rejected with pride,

He was a noble nation in his own right.

Towards Allah’s Oneness, he strove to guide,

Yet they pushed him away, out of their sight.

From Allah’s commands, he never turned away,

Leaving his wife and son in a barren land.

With a heavy heart, he hastened to pray,

Hoping and trusting in Allah’s Plan.

These are verses I wrote that were inspired by none other than Ibrahim عليه السلام, a man and messenger of great determination chosen as the intimate friend of Allah.

My brothers and sisters, once again, I urge you to review and reconnect with the story of our Father in Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism). [See References] 

Ibrahim عليه السلام ‘s belief in the oneness of Allah was unwavering; it could not be dented by the piecing agony he suffered at the hands of his closest people. His faith and trust in Allah were proven by his actions and his endurance.

My brothers and sisters, never let others’ treatment of you affect your relationship with Allah. Don’t allow the hurt and betrayal you experience at the hands of people to reflect on what you expect from your Rabb.

What are some other benefits of holding on to حَسْبُنَا ٱللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ ٱلْوَكِيلُ ?

It reminds you that you are not alone – Allah is your Wakeel.

While we may not have been thrown into a blazing fire or a bloodthirsty battle, Alhamdulillah, we have all endured something painful in our lives, whether physical, emotional, or spiritual.

But our struggles have a beneficial purpose. Not only are they accompanied by seen and unseen blessings- but they also have the potential to amaze you with Allah’s Divine Help, Mercy, and Protection when you are helpless.

Allah made the fire cool and safe for Ibrahim عليه السلام.

Not only did He remove the pain of the situation, but He also brought in peace and security in the worst of moments. SubhanAllah.

Al-Wakeel not just possesses all the power, might, and resources to help you, but He is also perfectly aware of exactly what you need; He is Competent over all things, He owns the treasures of the universe, and He knows His slaves better than they know themselves.

In other words, there is no better Disposer of our affairs; none can comfort us, support us, or fulfill our needs unless Allah enables them to!

So, are we giving Allah His haqq (right) of Tawakkul?

“To Allah ˹alone˺ belongs the knowledge of what is hidden in the heavens and the earth. And to Him, all matters are returned. So worship Him and put your trust in Him. And your Lord is never unaware of what you do.”    [Surah Hud: 123]

In conclusion-

Only expect ihsan (utmost good) from Allah, my brothers and sisters. And if we have Allah as our Waliyy- Friend and Protector, we need no one else for support, validation, or completion.

Rest assured that you are in good Hands, and so are your loved ones.

Bi’idhnillah, let us keep mindfully verbalizing and reflecting upon this statement, which isn’t just a feel-good affirmation, but a world-shifting Truth from the Most High:

حَسْبُنَا ٱللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ ٱلْوَكِيلُ

HasbunAllahu Wa Ni’mal Wakeel

Sufficient for us is Allah and He is the Best Disposer of Affairs.