بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The Arabic language is incredibly rich in its vocabulary. There are many similar Arabic words that we can use to describe a particular subject, but they can carry a different weight of meaning altogether.

Consider these two words: {istighaatsah} and {isti’adzah} — they’re both a type of du’a seeking Allah’s help, yet different from one another.

🌸 Isti’adzah is seeking Allah’s help *before* the coming of a calamity. We often make this du’a when we seek Allah’s protection from shayateen (plural for shaytan). Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in the Qur’an:

فَإِذَا قَرَأۡتَ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ فَٱسۡتَعِذۡ بِٱللَّهِ مِنَ ٱلشَّيۡطَـٰنِ ٱلرَّجِيمِ

“So when you want to recite the Qur'an, {fasta’idz (i.e. isti’adzah) | then seek help} with Allah from shaytan, the cursed one.”
[Surah An-Nahl 16: 98]

🌸 Istighaatsah is different. It is seeking Allah’s help to *remove* a calamity. Meaning, the calamity has come, and it’s hitting us left, right, and centre. And this is what I want to focus on today.

There is a beautiful seerah in the life of Rasulullah salla Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam (ﷺ) that can help us understand istighaatsah better — the battle of Badr. 

When Rasulullah ﷺ and his companions radhi Allahu ‘anhum were persecuted and driven out of Makkah, the mushrikeen seized all of their wealth and properties. One day, it came to Rasulullah’s ﷺ knowledge that a caravan carrying goods belonging to the Quraish mushrikeen would pass by Madinah, where the Muslims were seeking refuge. He ﷺ wished to seize those goods as a result of the mushrikeen stealing their wealth. Thus Rasulullah ﷺ with 300+ of his companions departed towards the caravan.

However Abu Sufyan, who led the caravan, found out about this plan, and escaped to seek the help of the Quraish. Upon hearing the news, the Quraish decided to go to an all-out war with 1,000 men and this caught Rasulullah ﷺ and his companions off guard. They didn’t have enough men, nor sufficient weapons and armouries. It was a battle between 1,000 fully equipped men with 600 iron armours, 100 horses, and 700 camels against a mere 300+ Muslims.

And so, Rasulullah ﷺ did what he always did.

He made du’a.

And more du’a.

And even more du’a to Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Rasulullah ﷺ turned towards the Qibla, stretched out his hands, and supplicated to his Rabb: 

“O Allah, accomplish for me what You have promised me.

O Allah, bring about what You have promised me.

O Allah, if this small band of Muslims is destroyed, You will not be worshipped on this earth.” [Sahih Muslim 1763]

Ali radhi Allahu ‘anhu reported: “None among us was upon a horse on the day of Badr other than Al-Miqdad (radhi Allahu ‘anhu). We saw, although everyone else was sleeping, the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, under a tree praying and weeping until dawn.” [Ibn Khuzaymah 899 | Graded Sahih by Al-Albani]

Thus Allah ta'ala revealed the following ayah — and this is where the word {istighaatsah} is highlighted:

إِذۡ تَسۡتَغِيثُونَ رَبَّكُمۡ فَٱسۡتَجَابَ لَڪُمۡ أَنِّى مُمِدُّكُم بِأَلۡفٍ۬ مِّنَ ٱلۡمَلَـٰٓٮِٕكَةِ مُرۡدِفِينَ

“(Remember) when {tastaghitsuna (i.e. istighaatsah) | you sought help} of your Rabb, and He answered you: I will help you with a thousand of the angels each behind the other in succession.”
[Surah Al-Anfal 8: 9]

Visualise Rasulullah ﷺ weeping alone under a tree while making istighaatsah until dawn. Try to understand the sheer weight of emotional distress that they all felt. This was how Rasulullah ﷺ, who has been promised the highest level of Jannah, made istighaatsah to Allah — with persistence and hope in Allah; feeling humble, vulnerable, and fully dependent on Him subhanahu wa ta'ala. The best of mankind knew his vulnerability without Allah’s Protection, and so too must we.

With the Help of Allah, Rasulullah ﷺ and his companions won against all odds. Allah says in the Qur’an: “And Allah has already made you victorious at Badr, while you were few in number. So have taqwa of Allah, that you may be grateful.” [Surah Ali-Imran 3: 123]

And so, when we feel like our backs are against the wall with no way out, make istighaatsah to Allah. Be persistent with our du’a, cry our hearts out especially in the last hour of the night. And know that our brokenness, vulnerability, and complete dependence on Allah are some of the main reasons for our istighaatsah to be answered by Him subhanahu wa ta'ala.

And just like Allah gave victory to Rasulullah ﷺ and his companions against all odds, never for a second think that Allah will abandon us in our calamity.

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala grant victory to this Ummah, relieve us from every type of hardship in this dunya, and grant us peace and tranquillity in the akhirah.

آمـــــــــين

Your sister in Deen,

Aida Msr

___

References:

• Tafsir Ibn Kathir
  • Sunnah.com
  • AbuAminaElias.com
  • Rumaysho.com (Istighosah Demi Terlepas dari Bala Bencana)
  • Muslim.Or.Id (Pelajaran dari Perang Badar)